Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Pesto, Breakfast Granola, and Pastry's, Oh my!

Let's start out with a healthy breakfast ... I don't know about you, but for me I have a hard time eating a breakfast that's early and healthy. Unless it's pancakes, Bojangles, or a venti dark roast Starbucks and  blueberry scone, a cool 400+ calories. I've really tried in recent months, especially during the summer with all the local fruits that are available, to eat smart and most importantly healthy.

Fage greek yogurt, cranberries, and granola
One thing I particularly love in the summer is granola, fage greek yogurt, for it's high protein per serving, and fruit. I've made granola so many times, and many different ways. Here's a basic recipe that you can use and modify, nuts, dried fruits, and seasoning (i.e. cinnamon, nutmeg, etc.) as you wish. I also add in wheatgerm to my granola for it's vitamins and added fiber.

I've made, coconut and dried blueberries; cinnamon, dried cranberries and pecans; dried apples, pie spice, and almonds. All of which were really good. Homemade granola makes an awesome gift for the holidays too. So stick that in your stockin' and thank me later.

Movin' on to dinner. I just love pesto. Love. Love! There's just nothing better than a bowl of fresh pasta with home made pesto - no meat required. I typically make it from scratch mid-summer to clear off my basil bushes. I try to grow my own every year. Depending on how hot and dry our summers are here my basil plants are usually dry stalks by July ... bummer!

Chevron painted terracotta basil pots

Homemade basil pesto
The basil recipe I use is super easy, and in some cases when I make it I don't have pine nuts in the freezer, I'll use almonds or pecans. All of which are equally as good. I add all of these ingredients to a food processor and pulse until well blended. Some like it more rustic and chunky, which you can achieve by chopping with a large chefs knife. I prefer easy, so I stick with the food processor to do all of the work for me.
  • a large bunch of basil
  • 1 cup parmesan
  • 1 cup pine nuts
  • 2 to3 cloves garlic
  • a few pours of EVOO (add more to get the consistency you're looking for) 
Alright, now that we've had dinner, let's skip to dessert. I'll disclose another one of my favorite Durham sandwich shops (and bakery - yes a major plus in my book) Madhatter Bakeshope and Cafe. I LOVE this place as it too is a farm to table cafe making everything down to the mayo from scratch. The chicken salad is my personal favorite, but right now is more about the deserts. They have an awesome spread of sweetness. You can have them make you a cake for special occasion too. I've never had one, but they look amaze!

I conservatively opted to get a salad for lunch and then treat myself to all of these lovely deserts. Actually, a friend got a few and affectionately let me try them.
From the top clockwise: Cheese danish, cream cheese brownie, snickerdoodle, and the remains of the best coconut cookie I've EVER had. It was gooey, crunchy, semi-sweet, and full of texture from the coconut. My second favorite was the cheese danish, which I had for breakfast the following day. Hello delicious, yet unhealthy breakfast. Whatever, it was so good. The other two were so so. Not good enough for me to wear on my hips for a few days ...

cheese danish
Looking at this photo now, makes me realize how HUGE this danish was. It literally looks like the size of my head, it was not, but had it been I would've eaten it all too. This beast was good. 

And another favorite lunch spot of mine is relatively new to the RTP area, Page Rd. Grill - owned by Chapel Hill Restaurant Group. They have quite the repertoire of restaurants under their belt, like MEZ, another one of their wonderful eateries here in RTP. They hands down have the best guac I've ever eaten. The tamales are wonderful, trio of salsas are fantastic, and they have really good churros for desert. Mmm K, I digress ... back to Page Road Grill - lunch menu.

Turkey Ruben

look at all that turkey and kraut

Blackened Fish Sandwich and house made chips
They were good sandwiches, and the place has a nice atmosphere. We sat on the patio, but they also have small conference rooms for small groups that want to have lunch meetings. They've really created a place here to work with the RTP corporate customer.

They too use local ingredients like chapel hill creamery for their cheese, etc. It amazes me the number of local restaurants that use local ingredients. It really makes the dining out experience that much more exciting for me. I mean I can go pick up a round of Chapel Hill Creamery's dairyland farmers cheese and make a caprese salad just like the appetizer at Page Road Grill. It gives me a chance to experiment and find things that I like and attempt to recreate at home.

Until next time peeps!
xoxo

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! I love pesto too! Sadly, our basil plants were neglected this year and are now gone :( Oops - guess I should have gotten off my big bum and watered them at least once ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! As usual, your posts don’t fail to make me hungry, even if just finished a heavy meal. Being healthy doesn’t have to mean eating tasteless food. With a little research and effort, it’s possible to eat something that is sweet and healthy. =) Jason Underwood @ La Patisserie

    ReplyDelete